Driving tickets can often cost more than simply the fine attached to the ticket itself. Demerit points are added to your license, which can lead to suspension of your license. Your insurance rates can also go up considerably. In extreme cases of excessive speed, or dangerous driving, your license can be instantly suspended.
Do I Need Defence?
Provincial offense specialists (POS), specializing in traffic tickets will examine the following:
- Do you have a defense for the ticket?
- Are there any technical errors on the written ticket that will get it dropped in court?
- What are the essential points that the police and prosecution have to prove?
- Many POS specializing in driving tickets are former police officers, former prosecutors and court agents who have immediate experience in the field. They are not necessarily lawyers.
- A POS will recommend the use of licensed lawyers in certain cases. Driving under the influence, for example, would require a lawyer’s help because criminal charges are also involved.
- The POS will often do everything from filing for your court date to ordering the officers discloser, building a defense and fighting your traffic ticket in court on your behalf. You do not necessarily need to attend.
Is It Worth It For You To Get Defence?
- What is the cost of the ticket? How much will your insurance rise?
- Consider the cost of paying the ticket and the rise in your insurance rates against the cost of obtaining an agent. Is it a minor infraction, or a major accident?
How do I Find a Traffic Defender?
- Talk to friends and family. Perhaps you know someone who has been involved in a traffic accident they felt was unjustified, and hired a POS to make their case.
- Many POS advertise their services on television, or through ads with Yellow Pages, but it is generally wise to get a first-hand opinion.
What will it Cost?
- That is a question to ask your POS on initial consultation. A POS will usually be able to tell you then if it is worth it for you to hire them, or just pay the ticket.
What You Should Think About When Meeting With a POS
- The majority will allow a free telephone, or online, consultation in order to determine if you have a case.
- Traffic ticket defense is a competitive business, so it can pay to shop around for the best price.